Common Mistakes Lawyers Make When Growing Their Practice
In today’s competitive world, reaching the pinnacle of their abilities is what every professional strives for. However, getting there is not an easy task. In the legal profession, the task is all the more challenging as it requires a tremendous amount of effort, knowledge and experience to get there.
However, on the journey towards success, several lawyers make easily avoidable mistakes which hinder their professional growth. To help you cut out these mistakes and fulfill your potential, I’ve compiled a list of common mistakes lawyers make when growing their practice.
1. Not having a strategic plan for their practice. Many lawyers fail to develop a strategic plan for their practice with relevant and measurable goals. Lawyers must develop strategies for coping with change as their career evolves so that the process is more productive.
2. Not implementing a time management system. Many lawyers don’t implement an adequate time management system. They are, therefore, prone to failing to account for all of their billable time. It’s essential to implement a time management program into their law practices so that they can perform better and more efficiently. Making a to-do list at the end of each day can also be of great help.
3. Failing to ask for referrals. Asking for referrals is the best and the easiest way to increase your client base. However, many lawyers fail to ask for referrals from their satisfied clients. Remember, people are more likely to retain you if you have been recommended by someone they know.
4. Accepting clients that don’t adequately compensate them for their time. Many lawyers make the mistake of taking on clients that they should have said “No” to, particularly those that don’t adequately compensate them for their time.
5. Not returning phone calls. Many lawyers fail to return telephone calls within a reasonable period of time. This is a major irritant for clients. Clients’ questions should be addressed in a timely manner by phone or email.
To avoid such mistakes and to grow a successful practice, reach out to Ian Solomon. I am a certified professional co-active coach, who helps lawyers achieve their career goals by capitalizing on their greatest strengths. To learn more about services that I provide, please click here. If you have any questions about coaching, get in touch with me by clicking here.